Monday, August 23, 2010

Where Are The Flags?

It's the 23rd of August.
Just 8 more days for Merdeka.
It doesn't seem like it though.

Here is what I remember of Merdeka Day a few years back.
The Jalur Gemilang everywhere - in front of all shops and in (or on) almost all vehicles. Some flew the flag in front of their houses, some decorated their whole car/van/lorry with flags.

Now, I just see a few pathetic flags aound the padang, and it takes me a while to remember that they are there because it is the Merdeka month.
What happened to all the elaborate Merdeka day celebration?

I am not going to point my finger at anyone though.
I have not done anything and nor am I going to do anything to mark the day.
To me, it's just another holiday, another excuse to wake up late (if I am not working), as it is for most of Malaysians.
I don't even stay awake for countdown anymore - I used to because they had good programmes on TV.

When I was younger, I used to wake up early on the day itself to watch the parade. Now, I don't have a TV in my room, and even if I do, I doubt that I would do as I did previously.

It's not that I love the country any lesser than I did before, but somehow the spirit is no more there.
Why - I am not sure. But from the looks of things, it doens't seem like anyone is in the Merdeka spirit anymore.
What went wrong?

1 comment:

Ken Wooi said...

no wonder the state government "force" the shops at my state to raise the flags.. =)