Thursday, July 31, 2008

I Want A Mercedes Too

I used to try to make it a point to read the papers online everyday (when the internet in my hostel was functioning). For some reason, after I got back, the papers just lost its appeal. I don't even watch the news on TV, so I practically know nothing about the current issues. The most I do is glance at the front page of the papers. But there are two things that one just can't miss no matter what - the Anwar sodomy case and the new Mercedeses(is that even a word?) in Terengganu.

I don't really care about the Anwar case. Obviously one of them is telling a lie and obviously both are going to say that they are not the ones lying. Sometimes I wonder why one has to take an oath in court before testifying. I mean, if I did something wrong and I want to escape punishment, would I really let an oath stop me from lying? Would you trust a murderer or rapist or even a thief? Why don't they just attach a polygraph (polygraph machine?) to every person who testifies in court? Won't that be a more effective way of detecting a liar? Won't that be a better way to make sure that the good guy goes free and the bad guy is punished? Well, it's just what I think. Maybe there is a reason why an oath is better than a lie detector test. I just wish I knew what it was.

I am actually more interested in the whole Mercedes issue. I admit it, I have no idea how much a Perdana costs. In fact, I don't know how much any car costs; if I really need that information, all I need to do is ask any guy who is around me and he would provide me with a list of cars and their prices. But that is besides the point right now. Even though I am not updated about car prices, one thing I know for sure - only a mad person would spend RM235 000 in 4 years (it comes to an average of about RM5000 a month) for the maintainance of their car. RM5000 a month?! Many families don't even earn that much in a month, and they are spending that much on a car? (RM235k - isn't that more that the price of the Perdana itself?)

My brother recently took over my father's (more than 10-year-old) Iswara. He spent about RM6000-RM7000 repairing and transforming the car from the first to the second picture below. Even then, he claims that he has spent a lot on the car. The Terengganu MB spent RM235k on a brand new Perdana. Didn't he find it weird why a new car would need so much repairs? Has he never questioned the repairs/maintanances before? Who approved all these payments anyway? Isn't it interesting how willingly one can spend money when it is not their own?


What was also fascinating was the fact that the new Terengganu MB so openly critised the Proton cars. I forgot the exact words he used, but I got a shock that a (BN) government leader is condemning the national car. What sort of message would this send to all the Malaysian people? Don't buy Malaysian cars? It is cheaper to buy a Mercedes than a Proton?

And why did they have to get Mercedeses? If a Perdana is not good enough, won't a Toyota or Honda do? What is wrong if they use a Myvi or any other Proton cars? Or is Mercedes the cheapest car to own and maintain? Won't it be a good idea for all of us to buy Mercedeses then? It would benefit us in the long run. But then again, not all of us have the state money to be spent freely on our cars, huh?

One other 'thing' that I found interesting is this :
Day 1 : Terengganu State EXCO members buy 12 (?) Mercedeses.
Day 2 : PM tells them to use the cars ONLY for foreign dignitaries when they visit
Day 3 : The State EXCO members went to Johor (?) with the Mercedes.
No comments.

I wonder how this issue is going to end.

No comments: