Sunday, January 3, 2010

Reading Is Better Than Watching

Many people wonder why I like to read story books.
Some think that reading a story book is a waste of time - time that can be used going out somewhere or watching a movie.
Justify Full
But I don't see it that way.
A good book is anytime better that a good movie.

Both movies and books bring you to another place, another world, into another person's life.
But a story book keeps you there longer.
You feel what the characters are feeling.
You see things from the characters point of view, instead of the cameraman's point of view.
You get more insight on each character.

Sometimes, when I think of a scene, I just can't remember whether the scene was in a movie I watched on in a book I read. So, who is to say that watching a movie is better than reading a book?

When watching a movie, you have to imagine what the character is thinking.
When reading a book, you have to imagine what the scene is like.
For me, I would prefer to be in the characters head - it is more personal that way.

Granted, reading takes up time.
Finishing a decent book would take at least a few hours of non-stop reading.
But to me, it is worth it.
I finish each (good) book feeling contented.
You will too, if you find a book that you really like.

1 comment:

Ninja Coffee said...

I'm more of a movie person