Sunday, April 27, 2008

I Don't Understand!

A few months ago, when the SPA interview was around the corner, I made it a point to read the papers everyday, in case they ask questions regarding current issues in Malaysia. When the interview got over with, I tried to continue the habit, but sometimes I skip a day or two when I am feeling a little on the lazy side.

I did not read the papers for the past few days, and today, all of a sudden, there were so many news and blog articles regarding the 'keris issue'. Almost all the politicians are lauding his (Hishammuddin's) apology. The rest of the people, the non-politicians feel that the apology itself was not sincere. What I don't get is, why did it take him SO long to apologize? The elections is considered old news. This keris issue happened a long time before that. Didn't he think that it was wrong back then?

I have done my fair share of mistakes in my life. When I do something wrong, usually my consience kicks in rather fast, and if I feel really bad about it, I apologize as soon as I can. There are some instances that I have not been able to apologize because I never met the person again and I still feel bad about it, even though so many years have passed since the incident. There were times when I didn't realize that I did a mistake until someones pointed it out to me. And then, I feel bad, and I apologize.

Hishammuddin has no excuses. The day after his 'keris waving' day, there were many comments regarding his behavior. If he really thought that what he did was wrong, he should have apologized immediately. Why only now? Why after so long? Is it a coincidence that he apologized when one of the hot topics right now is the UMNO elections? Why didn't he take the blame for the election losses just after the elections; why wait so long? I don't understand....


No comments: