Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ambulance Ride

The other day, I accompanied a patient to Penang.

Before I left, another doctor told me this :
Riding in an ambulance (with its siren on) is a very different experience.
She said "it's like Moses parting the Red Sea".

My experience - yup, many people moved out of the way.
On the highway, there was a place where they closed one lane because of some road repairs or something like that, so there was a bit of congestion.
However, the ambulance was allowed to go on the lane that was closed.

Red light - no problem.
Long queue at toll - just ignore everyone else and go right to the front - and don't bother stopping to take the ticket or pay.

The journey took us about an hour plus.
Thank God the patient's oxygen supply was sufficient, or we would have had to change the oxygen tank, which is not an easy task in a moving ambulance.

Going to another hospital gave me a different kind of feeling.
It's like going to another school for some function/event/competition - you just don't fit it.

I managed to meet up with Beng that day, although it was just for a short while.
Not going to comment much about Beng - he sure 'perasan'. :P

The ambulance driver didn't switch on the siren on the way back.
I had no problem with that.
I was postcall.
I slept all the way back.
The staff nurse just laid on the bench at the back of the ambulance and slept.
I slept in front (more comfortable).

That was my first ambulance ride as a doctor.
I guess there will be more in the future.
The ride was OK since the patient was stable.
Hope all my future rides will be as fun.
:)

Today, I learnt that a type III odontoid fracture doesn't need a skull thong and it doesn't require surgery - a Halovest or a Minnerva jacket for immobilization is enough to treat the fracture.

1 comment:

yen said...

my ambulance ride was a bad one... bagging a pt all d way to hkl & the driver is driving soooooo fast that makes it worse than a roller coaster.. nauseated..:(