Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Birthday Celebration

I have not been feeling too well for the past couple of days. It's not the sleep-the-whole-day and cannot-wake-up kind of sick, it's just that I feel groggy and lazy and irritated with the cold that has been bothering me. My brain doesn't seem to be functioning too well either. I feel sooo lazy to do anything, that I didn't even cook yesterday although I had all the time in the world.

Yesterday was a super-boring (as Fik would put it) day. I couldn't sleep in as I usually would on a holiday because I slept too long the afternoon before. And of course, when you wake up early, the day just never seems to end.

As usual, my day started with breakfast and MobWar. I chatted (is it a correct word?) with my brother for a while until he ditched me to have his lunch. Fen Fang suddenly decided to start clearing up and packing up her stuff, and I thought I would do the same. I went through the books and stuff on my bookshelf and table and then decided that maybe clearing up one part of the room on a day would be enough, at least I will have something to keep me occupied in days to come. Fen Fang however, cleared up all her stuff and is ready to go back at a moments notice.


halfway clearing up my bookshelf


once the job was done (all the boxes on my table are to be brought back home)

To think back, I don't even remember what I did after that. I was on Skype for a while, then I had a short nap, and then suddenly, it was already night.

At 10pm, we went for a classic Kahovs style birthday party. When one says 'birthday party' here in Kahovs, here is what takes place.

1. The roomate/groupmate of the birthday boy/girl buys or bakes a cake (baked cake is always more in demand)

2. Spreading the word - telling everyone that it is so and so's birthday and the celebration is at so and so time (usually midnight).

3. At the stipulated time, everyone gathers at the corridor and try their best not to make too much noise (so as to make the celebration a surprise), but the effort always fails.

4. Candles are lit, everyone goes to the birthday boy/girl's room and sings 'Happy Birthday' at the top of their lungs. The song is usually an extended version, everyone singing asynchronously, starting from the beginning over and over again. The singing may take up to a minute or so.

5. Cake is cut. Chips and drinks are passed around. Everyone talks with everyone, hence creating a marketplace atmosphere. Nobody bothers the birthday boy/girl while he/she cuts the cake.

6. The cake is passed around. (usually 2 cakes are needed to be sufficient for everyone)

7. If someone else comes to wish the birthday boy/girl, the song may be sung again.

8. Once everyone has had enough chips and drinks and cake, we go back to our respective rooms and carry on with whatever we were doing before that.

It is always fun to go for another person's birthday, but I don't really enjoy it when it is mine. I just don't like to be the centre of attention. However, such celebrations are a must because people expect it to be so. I too, am guilty of such expectations when it is someone-else's birthday.

You know what I am going to miss most about such birthdays? The fact that never again in my life, will I be able to go for a party where everyone will be wearing their house clothes (dirty/torn t-shirts, shorts, track suits, sarongs) and sometimes even their pajamas.

3 comments:

Falcon said...

your room is so clean..

Gorgeous Ol' Eve Loves Vanilla. You? said...

Whose birthday did I miss??

Sharini said...

falcon : which part of the room looks clean to u? or are u saying dat sarcastically?

gorgeous ol' eve : natrah