Monday, September 22, 2008

Coincidence?

I moved to Terengganu when I was 10. We stayed in Air Putih Estate for almost 3 years before we moved to Chukai town. I still remember the 1st day we arrived in Air Putih. A Chinese uncle came to visit us. He lived with his family just 2 doors away from us. Then, we learnt that the Uncle is a teacher in the school I was supposed to go to and his wife is my Mom's colleague.

Both our families got close almost immediately. They were 3 children in their house and we used to get together almost every evening to play some game or other. When we started looking for a house in Chukai town, the Uncle and Aunty decided that it was time for them to move out as well. So, we were hunting for a house together. There were even plans for us to buy a piece of land and build neighbouring houses, but we couldn't find a suitable place for that plan to work out.

One day, the Aunty told us to follow them to go see a house. Up till then, my family and I had already seen a few other houses, but then we never really liked any that we saw. This was the first house that I saw that I liked, and I remember telling my Mom, 'why don't we get this house? It looks nice'.
My Mom looked at me and said, 'We can't. Aunty is going to get this house'.
I felt a bit disappointed, but there was nothing any one of us could do.

As we were leaving the house, though, the house owner suddenly told us that the house next to the one we were seeing is also for sale. I think everyone got excited; I know I did. I have no idea what procedures they (my parents and the Aunty and Uncle) had to go through, but a few months later, we moved in into our respective houses, one day apart from one another. We were now officially next door neighbours.

Not too long after that, the Aunty quit her job in the estate and joined another company. A few months later, my Mom quit her job in the estate and joined in the same company as the Aunty. And so, both the ladies used to travel to work together everyday. Since they worked in a resort, their family members could make use of the facilities there. So, both our families used to go to the resort once a week to the swimming pool followed by ice-creams and sometimes even dinner.

Throughout the years, we became more like family. During Chinese New Year, all our meals would come from their house (and vice verca during Deepavali). We didn't even have to go to their house - food would be delivered to us through the back door. This 'food-exchange' even happened during the weekends. We had many bbqs together and even went for holidays together.

And then, we moved to Seremban. They stayed in Terengganu. Although we don't meet up that often, my Mom and the Aunty still keep each other updated on the going-ons. Facebook and Friendster also help in 'keeping in touch'.

Yesterday, the Aunty's daughter, the 2nd child in the family, left to Moscow, to start her 1st year in MMA. Life is SO full of coincidence, huh?

No comments: