Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time



This was the first book I read after coming back from Russia. I don't know what it is about this book that I like - maybe it's the simplicity in the way it was written; maybe it's the way the 'hero' of the novel thinks. There were many parts of this story that was memorable, but one particular part caught my attention.

(For some reason, the 'hero' of this book is attracted to prime numbers)

This is how you work out what prime numbers are.
First you write down all the positive whole numbers in the world.
Then you take away all the numbers that are multiples of 2.
Then you take away all the numbers that are multiples of 3.
Then you take away all the numbers that are multiples of 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and so on.
The numbers that are left are the prime numbers.

The rule for working out prime numbers is really simple, but no one has ever worked out a simple formula for telling you whether a very big number is a prime number or what the next one will be.

I think prime numbers are like life.They are very logical but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them.

Now i feel like re-reading the book. But I'm halfway through two books for now, so I guess this book will have to hold on for a while. You should give this book a try too. I think you'll enjoy reading it.

No comments: