Thursday, September 4, 2008

My New Eyes

After years of 'thinking about it' and 'planning to do it', I finally did my LASIK last week. For those who have never heard about it, LASIK is a procedure which uses laser to correct ones vision. Some of my friends and a cousin sister of mine did the procedure a few years back, which was how I first heard about it. Since I am on holiday now and will not be starting work for at least another month, I thought that this would be the most suitable time for me to undergo the procedure. The whole 'process' was quite fast..

A few months ago, my cousin sister gave me the link to Optimax's website. I went through the website and decided that I am going to do the LASIK in their Taman Tun branch since they offer 24-month-installment payment there. Then, I had to decide when to go for the treatment. According to the website, after the surgery, one cannot go swimming for at least a month. So, I had to postpone my original plan of going for the surgery 'immediately after coming back from Russia' to 'after Perhentian trip'. Since I was going to be in KL for a party on the 24th, I thought that the 26th would be the most suitable date to visit Optimax.

Getting an appointment was no trouble at all. I called Optimax a few days beforehand and requested an appointment for Tuesday and they said no problem. I told them that I would like my evaluation and surgery to be on the same day and they said no problem. All they asked me to do is make sure I don't wear contact lense for at least 2 weeks beforehand and not wear any perfume or makeup on the day that I was going to go see them. I was also asked to bring a pair of sunglasses and someone to drive me home if I wanted to do the surgery. A day before the day of the appointment, they called me up to remind me about all the above and to confirm the time of my appointment.

It was the 26th of August. As luck would have it, the Penang CM declared it a public holiday in Penang and my cousin sister got a day off since the company is based in Penang. She drove me to Optimax and waited for me the whole day. I was there at about 10am, the time of the appoinment. I just gave my name at the reception and a few seconds later, someone took me to a room with 5-7 different machines. I have no idea what tests they did, but they checked my eyes from one machine to another. Then I had to do the normal eye test (to test my vision) and after that they took me to another room where they 'took a picture of my eyes'.

When all the tests were done, an optometrist then explained to me about the surgery. She had a big model of an eye with her and she explained to me, very nicely, about the choices I have. The concept of the surgery is very simple. They cut a flap on your cornea, flash the laser beam and put the flap back. There was 4 types of surgery, but I was offered only 2 of it ('cos my cornea was thick enough)- LASIK (using a blade to cut the flap) and intraLASIK (using laser to cut the flap). I chose intraLASIK.

The surgery itself was done in the afternoon, after lunch. They called in 5 of us into a room, made us remove our shoes, wear scrubs and boot covers and 'shower caps' and explained to us about how to take care of our eyes after the procedure. I was given a bag which contained a bottle of antibiotic drops which I had to use for the 1st week, 1 box of disposable artificial tears (have to throw away 24hours after opening), 1 bottle of throw-away-one-month-after-opening artificial tears, eye covers for when I sleep so I don't accidentally rub my eyes in my sleep, and painkillers in case I needed it (nope, I didn't need it). Then, the doctor himself made an appearance and explained the whole procedure to us taking time to tell us specifically how many seconds the laser would be for each of us (different power, different amount of time). I needed about 18seconds in one eye and 15 seconds (something like that) in the other.

I was the 2nd out of the 5. The procedure was fast, blur and painless. They kept my eyes open with something and then did something and all I had to do was look wherever they tell me to. I did not feel a thing! I couldn't even see that well with all the drops that they kept putting in my eyes. Once the procedure was done, the doctor checked the flap to make sure it is in place, and I went back home and slept. I was told to rest my eyes, so I practically slept till the next morning, waking up only to eat dinner. The world was slightly blur for a few days due to the effect of the medicine they had to use during the surgery, but it improved day by day. I went for my one-day check up the next day and my one-week check up last Tuesday and everything was fine. In case you were wondering, I did have a little bit of discomfort in my left eyes, but it wasn't very bad, and it went off after a few days.

'mosquito-eye' eye covers

So, if you want to get rid of your glasses and contact lenses forever and ever..go for LASIK!! I am seeing the world clearly WITHOUT glasses now!

5 comments:

Gorgeous Ol' Eve Loves Vanilla. You? said...

Ooooohhhhh.. if I do go for LASIK, it's just because I want to wear the "mosquito-eye" covers LOL

Get well and see clear soon!

euphoria said...

cute mask :P

vy said...

very cute mosquito mask u hav there.. haha

CK said...

ok i wont comment on the mask :)
glad your procedure went ok..
i'm seriously thinking about lasik but not right now..

cute eyecovers though, haha~

miss critical said...

ahahaha... the mosquito eye looks cute...