Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Friends Or Colleagues?

Yesterday, I had my first OT (operation theater) call.
It was quite a sudden thing - I replaced a friend of mine who took emergency leave.

It was quite interesting to note that the equipments used in an Ortho OT is similar to tools you find in a toolbox.
We have hammers, drills, screws, screw-driver-like-thingy, rods and pliers.

I don't have much to say about the OT itself.
It is cold.
Basically, as housemen, we just assist the MO or surgeon during the surgery.
Time passes by quite fast though, which is a good thing.

I was just thinking - I have quite many colleagues, but how many of those can I consider my friends?
Are all my colleagues my friends?
What is the definition of a friend anyway?
So, I do what I do best - I googled for the answer.

I found 2 definitions for a friend :
1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
2. A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.

Personally, I prefer the first definition - however, it is not easy to find someone that you can trust 100%. You can't just go spill your guts to every Tom, Dick and Harry, right?
But then the second definition is too common. What if you know the person but you don't like the person - is that person still considered a friend?

A colleague - A fellow member of a profession, staff, or academic faculty; an associate.

If I were to accept the second definition of a friend, then all colleagues are to be considered friends. However, if I agree with the first definition, then I can separate my colleagues into 2 groups - those whom I introduce as my friends (I like them) and those I introduce as my colleague (don't really like them).

Now, I think the first definition makes more sense than the second.

So, if I were to introduce someone as a colleague - paham-pahamla that I don't really like them. :P

I think I am crapping already. Must be the lack of sleep. Time to stop for today.

Today, I learnt that people will say/do anything to save their asses. Do your own work. Don't trust another person to do things for you. If something goes wrong, you are the one who will be blamed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hye shar..i love reading ur blog..keep it updated always k...and i;ll start back 2 work next week.. wosh me all the best ya-muhaimin-

Sharini said...

hi min!!glad that all is well with you. hope you have fun at work! take care..