Thursday, December 24, 2009

Disappointed!

Today, for the first time, I got very very frustrated and disappointed with a patient because she was SO DUMB!

I have had patients who can't speak Malay or English.
I have had patients whom seem to be too blur to understand what you say and make you repeat your question many times.
I have never scolded them, never criticized them (at least notto their faces), although I don't understand how anyone can call themselves a Malaysian, and live in Malaysia and not know Malay.

But this patient was just too much.

She is a known case of TB, supposedly completed treatment about 6 years ago.
Came due to cough and SOB (shortness of breath).
X-ray looked really bad - is it the TB again, is it a cancer?
We were not sure - so we decided to get it reported.

I went for reporting - the radiologist wanted her old x-rays to compare with before commenting on the latest x-ray.

I went back to the ward and told the staff nurse to trace her old notes.
The thing is, old notes of 6 years ago is not easy to find.
They told me to call the chet clinic - I did.
The person in the chest clinic said that notes more than 3 years old will be at the record office.

I called the record office, and they said they have her records.
But, they asked me, why don't you want the latest notes?
I was dumbfounded.
Latest notes? She was admitted recently?
Then I told them to just send whatever they can up to the ward.

Guess what - she was admitted twice this year.
The first time was in April - she was admitted for a month, and the 2nd time was an elective admission for bronchoscopy.
The X-ray finding was about the same as what we found this time.

I just went through her old notes randomly - she has had CT abdomen and lungs, she has had a BMA (bone marrow aspiration) done, she has had a bronchoscopy done, she had had a skeletal survey done (basically x-ray of her whole body).
How can she neglect to tell us about all these?
What the &*%$@

Then I went to her and asked her - were you admitted earlier this year?
Then she says yes.
Then her grandchild says yes.
Come on!
How can you forget to mention this when you first came in?

When she was discharged previously, she was given an appointment to follow up in our clinic - claims she didn't come because she lost her appointment later.
ARGH!!!!!!!
What can you do with such people?!!!!

2 comments:

Kelvin -KtheBlogger- Tan said...

Maybe the patient is lazy to get well again, hahaha.

Anonymous said...

I am going to assume you are a russian or ukrainian graduade judging from your plain lack of common sense that any patient needs to be asked for their past medical history very very throughly. Do not ever blame it on the patients. If you are good enough, you should be able to get the right information.

Dr. RaXX