Monday, December 21, 2009

Housemanship and Complaints

The truth is, we (housemen) have it easy.
Are you surprised that I said that?
Do you think I am crazy?

Think about it - right now, we have about 30-40 HOs per department.
It used to be about 10 last time (by last time, I am talking about 5 years ago).

Nowadays we have about 4-5 HOs per ward - it used to be 1-2 HO per ward.

We have an average of 6-8 calls per month.
Used to be 15 calls per month.

Our pay is higher than before.
Our allowances are more.
And yet, we complain.

Why?
Because it is human nature.

Do you think that we compare ourselves with what the HOs went through last time?
Of course not!

We compare our working hours with those who do a 9am-5pm, 5 day job.
We compare our pay with our friends who are working in different countries or who are doing different jobs.
We compare our call claims with those who get paid per hour - like staff in factories.

And when we compare like that, yes, we are at a loss.
We don't get to sleep late on weekends.
We don't get to take MCs.
We get paid (for oncalls) at a rate of about RM6 per hour on weekends.

I have done my fair share of complainings.

My theory - if life is tough, you learn to cope with it.
E.g - in O&G, when you do the maternity call, you cover the 1st Mat, 2nd&3rd Mat, the high risk ward and also ward 14. When at one point there was a so-called shortage of HOs, only 1 person was oncall to cover all these wards; when there were more HOs, then 2 people did the oncall.
I did 5 maternity calls by myself, and I coped - I did whatever was necessary. Yes, I had to run up and down doing stuff, but I did it. And then I did many other calls with a partner - and again, we managed to do whatever was necessary. We didn't have to hurry that much, that was the only difference.

I guess, as HO, nowadays we tend to take things easy, because we have it easier.
Yes, we are in a way pampered.
Yes, I know we do less work that what the HOs did previously.
Yes, we have more free time.
Yes, we get to go out, get to have a life.

But please, don't blame us for it.
We didn't ask for thousands of us to graduate at the same time.
We were just lucky, I guess - or unlucky, since there are many things that we don't get to learn because of the huge number of us.

What's my point?
I don't know.
As usual, I am just writing whatever is running through my head - and now I seem to be hanging in the middle of nowhere.
*sigh*
(makes you wish you never een started reading it, right?)

I think it's about time I stopped writing.

Am I going to stop complaining?
No.
I am a houseman.
I HAVE to complaint.
That is what we are supposed to do.
:P

1 comment:

jimmy said...

hehehe... Its jus human nature. =) so looks like u are enjoying ipoh GH eh?