Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Disappointed

I feel a bit disappointed.
I felt a lot disappointed on Sunday (when the ward roster for the week was posted), but now I am just a bit disappointed.

Paeds in Ipoh has 4 different wards.
6A - Paediatric ward
6C - Neonatal ward
(if you are wondering what is 6B, it is a surgical ward - I have no idea why it is not a paeds ward)
PICU - paediatric ICU
NICU - neonatal ICU

When you are first posted to the department, you will be sent to 6A or 6C, then PICU then NICU. Even when you do oncalls, you start with oncalls in 6A and 6C and then only progress to oncalls in PICU and later on, NICU.

I have been to 6A, 6C and PICU.
I have done calls in 6A and 6C.
I have not done a single PICU call and I have not been posted to NICU yet.
I am disappointed.

This is my 3rd month in my posting.
I thought that this week I would get to go to NICU, but instead, I have been posted to the clinic.
(In the clinic, you see children as outpatient, mostly who come for follow up check-ups).
I was really disappointed when I saw the week's roster.

The thing is, nowadays HOs have to fill in a procedure book. Each department has a different procedure book. This book has a list of procedures that you have to do when you are in the department.
Some of it are simple, daily stuff. Some of it are more advanced stuff.

In my list of procedures, I am having problems getting intubations done.
The chances of getting to do an intubation in 6A and 6C are next to nil.
The chances of getting to do an intubation in PICU is maybe about 10%.
Most intubations are done when you are in NICU because when working in NICU, you will also have to standby in the labour room or when a C-section is being performed to care for the newborn baby. Sometimes, babies are not born healthy and may need to be intubated for a short amount of time.

If I am not posted to NICU, I can almost never do an intubation.
My HOD wants us to do at least 10 intubations.
I don't blame him.
One should be able to intubate a child.
When you are in the district posting, there is no one to help you but yourself.
If you can't intubate a child during an emergency, then you are quite useless.
But how do I get the chance to do intubations if I am sitting in the clinic the whole day long?

I think I might get extended.
At the back of my mind I know that it is not that bad if you get extended.
You get a chance to learn more and do more stuff since you have more time.
But then of course if I can avoid it, I would like to avoid it.
No one likes being extended.

What should I do?
The excessive number of HOs that we have right now is not helping matters either. We have to fight for procedures. That is bad, isn't it; but the thing is, we don't have a choice.
I really hope that by next week I will be posted to NICU and I will get to learn intubations.

*fingers crossed*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!