Thursday, February 26, 2009

My First On Call

This was something I wrote a long time ago, back when I didn't have internet.

Today was my first on call by myself.

I have been on 6 tag-calls previously – there is another person oncall, but I am also required to stay the night so as to learn up more about doing on call.
My buziest tag-call was on New Year in the neonatal ward.
My tag calls in the pediatric ward have never been that busy – I get to sleep at least about 3 hours.

I had 6 admissions during my call - 5pm, 6pm, 8pm, 11pm, 1am and 6.30am.

I had 2 patients who needed their blood taken every 4 hours.

I had one patient who needed to be reviewed almost every hour. This was quite a hard task because she kept crying whenever anyone went near her.

There was another patient that I needed to check on every 2 hours.

I had one patient who suddenly started vomiting and not tolerating orally.

I had one patient whos temperature spiked and needed to be started on antibiotics
(previously planned) and needed a blood sample to be taken.

3 mother complained that their child was not eating/drinking properly.

1 child had a fracture (just admitted) and needed ortho referral.

1 child had a perichondritis (inflammation of the external ear) and needed ENT referral.

1 child had a planned platelet transfusion had 3am.


I was in the clinic from 8am-5pm.
I had my lunch at 1pm.
After the clinic, I rushed to the ward I was supposed to be oncall in.
I had my dinner at 3.30am.
There was no on call food – thankfully, my friend bought me some bread and I had that.
I slept for a maximum of 1.5hours.

My first on call.
Hard to forget.
Hopefully my next calls will be easier (although I am quite sure in other postings it will be worse ‘cos there would be people collapsing every now and then).

20.01.09

No comments: