Thursday, November 26, 2009

Handle With Care

For the past 2 days, something has been bugging me.
It made me lose few hours of my sleep last night.
I was wishing that time would move slower just so that I could have more time.

I was reading a book - Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult.
This is the 2nd book of hers that I'm reading, the first being My Sister's Keeper.

The story is about a girl who was born with Osteogenesis Imperfecta - brittle bone disease. Basically, her bone can break anytime, anywhere. A small hit, a slight bump, a slip, even reaching out to something can cause a fracture.

She was diagnosed in-utero, and so her parents and the doctors were prepared for it when she was born. In fact, she already had fractures even when she was in her mother's womb.

She lived with her parents and elder sister.

A visit to Disneyland and a fracture somehow led them to a lawyer's office where the idea of sueing their obstetrician (and best friend) for wrongful birth was put into their head - basically they were going to sue the obstetrician because she did not give them the choice of terminating the pregnancy when they could.

Her parents and sister loved her very much. But they had financial problems and the Mom thought that if they were to sue and were to win, they would have enough money to let the child live a comfortable live, something they were not able to give right now. But it would mean that they will have to say that they wished their child would never have been born.

Mom wanted to sue, Dad didn't.
So Mom sued, and Dad supported the opposing side.
They even wanted to get a divorce.

In the midst of all this, her elder sister had her own problems. She wasn't jealous of the 'heroine', but she did feel left out, after all, she herself is a child. She had her own problems - she lost her best friend, she became bulimic, she started cutting herself.

How would all this end?
Read the book for yourself.
It is really, truly a good read.
Although I didn't particularly like the ending.
Like I said for My Sister's Keeper - too abrupt and end.
And after My Sister's Keeper, this one was a little predictable.

I would definitely try another one of her books just because the way it was written was so good! But I really hope the ending would be something different.