Friday, November 13, 2009

I Do, I Do, I Do

I love reading.

Sometimes, I am in the mood for something funny and light. A book that I know will have a happy ending and will leave me in a good mood.
Sometimes, I prefer to read something more serious, more heartfelt.

When I want a feel-good book, I usually go for the 'little black dress' collection.
I don't even bother reading the summary at the back of the book most of the time.
If the cover looks nice, then I buy it, because I know that the story will be nice.

So, that is why I bought 'I Do, I Do, I Do'.
I started reading it a few days ago.

Starting to read a new book is always interesting.
You never know what to expect.
There are many ways a story can go.
You have to read at least a few chapters before you get the flow of the story and get engrossed in it.
Which is why you usually get addicted to books only after reading it for quite some time.

Halfway through this book, I decided that I didn't like it.
It had way too much description.
There was not much drama.
There was not much story.

I'll give you an example.
At one point, the heroine wanted to buy a bike.
She went to the person selling the bike.
The guy told her to go for a test ride.
She took the bike.
They described the whole route she took, the things she saw.
She reached another small town.
She felt thirsty.
She took the bike and rode to a shop.
She bought a drink.
She had the drink.
She rode all the way back to the owner.
She thanked the owner.
She walked back home.
(All these things were told in detail, constituting to almost a whole chapter!)

I could have summarized the whole thing in 2 sentence.
"She wanted to buy the bike and so she approached the owner. She took the bike for a test ride and after that, went back home."
Does this change anything in how you would understand the story? NO!!

Well, anyway, I've finished the book now and moved on to my next book.
Hope this one will be better (am reading something more serious this time around).

2 comments:

sharkgila said...

reading little black dress books are like lottery. Sometimes you get a great author, sometimes you just feel like chucking the book halfway. I can't stand a few, but love love love some. I avoid buying anymore books of the author that sucked haha.

Unknown said...

hei u goin to nat wedding?