Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Induction, Induction

Day 2 in EDC, Sintok.

I have made up my mind that EDC is indeed a hotel.
The proof :
1. They have room service
2. They provide the newspaper in the morning.
3. The room has a phone and has a kettle.
4. They have Astro (although the channels are limited).

Today was more of a get-to-know-each-other session. It is not easy to remember 89 other names in 1 day, but we more or less did it. OK, I don't remember everyone's name after they changed their clothes and seatings later in the afternoon, but here and there, I know a few names. For me, that is a BIG achievement because I ALWAYS have problems remembering names and faces.

Most of the future HOs (housemens) here studied either in Russia or Ukraine. There are just a handful who studied in PMC. Just imagine this..there are 90 of us in this induction, and there are induction courses going on in at least 3 other places in Malaysia right now. Which means, about 350 new HOs will be starting work next month. Most of my friends underwent induction last month, and some of them in August. Let's say they have induction for HOs only 6 times a year, that would still bring the number of new housemen per year to 2100!!!! 2100 new doctors each year? ( This number is NOT a true number. I do not know how many induction courses they have per year or how many people are there in one induction course or how many doctor's graduate each year). These assumed 2100 new HOs will be posted into about 30 hospitals all over Malaysia which comes to about 70 new HOs per GH (General Hospital) per year. Quite an OK number, don't you think (I do believe the actual number is bigger though)?

Anyway, we had a few LDK (latihan dalam kumpulan) sessions today. The first few were just to help us get to know one another's name. We played a couple of games too, one of which I found rather interesting..involving a few knotted strings which we (in groups of 10) have to attach to our fingers (each person gets one end of the strings). The objective of the game is to un-knot the string without removing the part that is attached to the finger (am I making sense here?). The game involves lots of moving and swapping places and I think is quite a nice game. (The lesson we are supposed to learn from the game is that 'all problems can be solved').

We have been divided into 8 groups (which will be our group for the rest of the induction course). Tonight, we are supposed to present our group - we have to come up with a name, a motto, group ethics, a logo and a song. I never like this kind of group works, but all the camps that I go to seem to have them. Why do we need a group song? ARGH!! Anyway, my group, we finished whatever task we were given fast and are now 'lepak-ing' in our rooms. I had a peep of what the other groups are doing - some of them were drawing borders and colouring flowers..our presentation seems to be kind of simple compared to theirs. But hey, art is NOT MY THING and I think what we have done is enough (plus I am a lazy girl).

There's approximately 12 more days of induction to go. We might be getting our posting letter tomorrow, telling us which hospital we will be posted to. I am nervous. I am very nervous. Why isn't it tomorrow yet?

*I have some photos to upload..will do it tomorrow!!


No comments: