Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Visit To Asia Cafe

A day before I left for my induction course, I went to Asia Cafe. I have been there once before, but that was a long time ago, and I went there quite late at night and just had some drinks. This time, I was there for dinner.

The main reason we went there was because KR wanted to have watermelon juice. Sharveen and I were OK with anywhere, so we decided on Asia Cafe. When we got there, we only managed to get parking at the lane beside the main road (not the one beside the cafe), so we had to walk to the cafe through a dark lane. My fear at that time was rats and cockroaches. Thankfully, I saw none (I don't care about the ones I can't see).

When we got to the cafe, as expected, there were lots and lots of people everywhere. We thought of sitting in the roofed portion for fear of rain, but then there wasn't a free table in sight and we settled on a table outside.

KR told me and Sharveen to go order our food 1st.

Call me whatever you want, but then I was really, really shocked at what I saw! SO MANY SHOPS! So many varieties of food! So many choices! I looked all around me and saw shops and more shops. And menus of varying nationality, colours and content. How do I choose? I walked past a few shops and tried to comprehend what I was seeing. I felt like there were so many informations that are being inputed at the same time- I was so lost!

(I am a newcomer and didn't know it, but apparently we were supposed to remember our table number when ordering the food, so that 'delivery' would be easy. Good system, I think. Unfortunately, Sharveen had to walk back to our table to check the table number before we managed to order.)

Sharveen made up his mind quickly and ordered and went back to the table so that KR could go make his order. I was practically standing and looking around and wondering what to order. I wish someone would just order for me, tell me what to eat. I was like a 'rusa masuk kampung'! I couldn't take the choices anymore. I decided to stop looking at the shops after a while. I think I just walked about a quarter of the place, and finally decided to order from the first shop. I liked the picture I saw - pineapple chicken.

We had to wait a while for the food to be served, but it was faster than I thought it would take. Sharveen had lasagna while KR had roasted honey chicken. Sharveen and I had medium-sized drinks but KR (who decided he was extremely thirsty) ordered a big glass of watermelon juice. I think it is more worth it to buy the bigger glass, the price difference is not that much. But I don't think I could finish that much drink with dinner.

The food was quite tasty. I liked it. I wouldn't say that the price is cheap, but then when you come to a place like this, you expect it to be a bit more expensive than other places. All in all, I found it quite reasonable 'cos the food tasted OK and I was full by the time I finished eating. All of us were.

I wish I took some photos to be uploaded here. Unfortunately it didn't cross my mind at that time to do that. I tried looking for photos online, but couldn't find any that would do the place justice. Right now, after almost 2 weeks of Malay food (which is tasty at times and not so tasty at others) I am craving for something different. Writing about Asia Cafe is just making it worse!

Anyway, the whole dinner experience was quite a good one..except for the way it ended. We were walking back to the car and once again had to pass through the dark 'lorong'. I saw a guy sleeping at the side and was wondering why he was sleeping there. I was just about to pity him when I saw him do something that should only be done in the privacy of his own room or bathroom. Damn, the man! What an idiot!

I think they should put some lights up in that 'lorong'; am quite sure quite many people use it regularly and would prefer a well lit street to a dark one. One street light is all it needs.

2 comments:

sharkgila said...

come more often! there are lots of nice food to try in asia cafe.

The worst I've seen is huge roaches, not a man doing *stuff*. Poor unlucky you.

Anonymous said...

Sian dier....wat to do tat fellow was having his own sweet time kot..next time we carik other place to minum air tembikai...