Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Loooooong Wait

Yesterday morning, my Dad had very bad abdominal pain and got himself checked up in a nearby clinic. The doctor who checked him suspected that it was appendicitis and told my Dad to go to the hospital.

My Dad and I were in the hospital A&E (accident and emergency) department by 11am. When my Dad showed the referral letter (from the doctor in the clinic) to the people incharge, they asked him about his symptoms. Upon hearing that he did not have any vomiting, they decided that it wasn't appendicitis and told him to wait in the green zone. My Dad was in obvious pain and couldn't even stand up straight, and yet we had to wait for other healthy looking people who, in my opinion should have gone to the outpatient department instead, to be checked up.

After some time, it was my Dad's turn. A medical assistant asked about the symptoms, then suspected that it was appendicitis (duh!) and told us to wait some more. We waited and waited for about an hour before my Dad was seen by a doctor. They said yes, it is appendicitis..took a blood sample and told that he has to be admitted. We waited once again, this time, to be admitted.

My Mum and brother arrived at the hospital at about 2.30pm. My brother and I then decided to find out about other private hospitals around Seremban. We first approached Columbia Hospital, but then they said that they didn't have any available beds. Then, we asked KPJ Hospital, and once again, the same reply - no beds. Since we couldn't think of any other choices, we waited and managed to get our Dad admitted at about 4pm.

We were told that there are many cases and that my Dad would be operated on by evening or night. Evening passed by and it was already night. My Dad was still in pain. They said that he should fast for the surgery and he cannot even have anything to drink. The last meal my Dad had was at 6am. The doctors suspected that it was perforated appendicitis, but then, since there were a few accident cases, we had to wait.

By 9pm, we decided that it was too much. There was still no news as to when the surgery would be. Dad was in pain. We finally called an Aunt who has lived in Seremban for a long, long time. She called Columbia Hospital and managed to get a bed for my Dad there. We immediately discharged my Dad and took him there.

The doctor who signed my Dad's discharge papers told that there was only 1 OT (operation theater) and they had many cases. If my Dad were to wait, his surgery would probably be at about 3am. MAYBE. Even the doctor said that it would be better to take him elsewhere. He even said 'KL is not that far away also'.

9.45pm - we arrived in Columbia Hospital.
11pm - Dad was taken into the OT.
1am - Dad was already in the ward, recovering.

My paternal grandma has been staying with us for a few days now.
Her words of advice, " if any of you are sick, don't waste your time in government hospitals."

I do get it. Government Hospitals are busy. They see thousands of patients each day and they are short staffed. However, I would have appreciated it if they had told us earlier that the surgery would only be in the early morning instead of telling us 'wait, you will have the surgery soon'.

I know that they see many emergency cases, but from what I studied, acute appendicitis is also and emergency. And if they suspected a perforated appendicitis, then it is even more urgent. Why wait so long?

I am sure many of you would have many stories about government hospitals.
Government hospitals are not horrible. I always admire the fact that they give out free medicines (I was initially shocked to know this 'cos medicines are expensive) and almost free treatment. Yes, private hospitals can offer fast (and expensive) treatment, but then once the situation worsens, they will handover the patient to the government hospital, and the government hospital never says no. This contributes to the higher mortality rate in government hospitals.

However, I think Malaysian hospitals need to be better equipped. 1 OT for almost the whole of Negeri Sembilan? A CT scan appoinment takes 1 month. An X-ray appoinment takes 2 weeks. Once, I had to do a CT scan in Russia - I could do it immediately. And yet, my friends and I complain that Russia is not equipped enough.

I go for my ENT check up and treatment in Seremban Hospital and am going to continue doing so because I think the doctors there are really good (and also because I get free medicine). However, I think that my grandma's advice should be taken into account when the illness is a little more serious.

For the record - I HATE waiting!

5 comments:

Mohd Hafizan Mazuki said...

hye Dr sharini...still remember me...

Gorgeous Ol' Eve Loves Vanilla. You? said...

Ohhh my.. I'm sorry to hear about the agony your Dad went through. Hope he's fine now.

Hehehee why you didn't perform appendectomy on him? :P

Sharini said...

He is ok now, thank you.
My dad didn't even let me set a line for him..guess he knows that his daughter doesn't know anything..:P

Anonymous said...

I am very glad your father is recover and operation procedure is smooth.This situation is impossible happen in Taiwan.I am emrgency physician,I am very sad why Malaysia is always happen the same situation like this.

min said...

phew...
The hospital is so Horrible!!!!