Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Tagging

For the first 2 weeks for work, I was tagging. The tagging period is a period of time given for a HO to get used to whichever department that he/she is placed in. All departments of all hospitals have the tagging system. However, the duration varies. The average duration for tagging is 2 weeks. If you are competent enough, then the HOD or whoever is incharge can allow you to complete your tagging faster, or they can extend your tagging until they think you are capable of doing your job without supervision.

The worst part about tagging is the working hours. You have to work from 7.30am to 11pm everyday – 7 days a week. However, some departments (e.g. Paeds in Ipoh) is kind enough to give us about an hour lunch break and 2 hours dinner break, provided we complete whatever work we are supposed to do before leaving for our breaks. We are also give breaks from 12pm-6pm during weekends, so life wasn’t too bad. You are not allowed to do oncalls while tagging.

Once you are off-tag, your working hours is from 7.30am to 5pm on weekdays or 7.30am to 1pm on weekends and public holidays. However, being off-tag means you can be given oncalls.

What does being oncall mean? For a HO, it means staying and taking care of a particular ward all by yourself. If there is any problems, then you can contact the MO oncall who will be incharge of a few wards. Oncall hours are from 5pm to 7am (the next day) on weekdays and 1pm to 7am (the next day) on weekends and public holidays. The plus point of being on call? You get to go back at about 1pm the next day.

Life right now is not as bad as I imagined it to be. But then, as I told you in my previous post, Paeds is supposed to be the ‘chillest’ department of all. I just hope that I can cope up with the job when I am trasferred to the other departments. Even now, I feel like I don’t know many things. I KNOW that I don’t know many things. I know that I have lots to learn. I hope I can be a good doctor. I hope I don’t get extended. I hope I don’t make major mistakes and cause someone their lives. It’s almost 11pm now and I am sleepy. Got to wake up early tomorrow for work. Good night!

03.01.09

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oic....hmmm.... :)

Anonymous said...

no no no.. i've gotta work till 5pm also even if i m postcall..:)

CK said...

you get pm off postcall?!?!?!
bloody ipoh is heaven then..
i am getting bad calls one after another, always hoping my HOD will tell me to go back pm the next day but it never happens:)
hahaha so damn tired i copied the wrong medication during rounds that day:P