Thursday, May 1, 2008

Ballet

Most people who have read about Moscow have heard of the Bolshoi Theater. I only heard about it in my first year when mentioned by my Russian language teacher. 6 years have passed, and all I know about the Bolshoi is that it is big (that's what the name means, bolshoi=big), presumably beautiful and it has been under construction for a few years now. While it is under construction, they have built a temporary Bolshoi Theater, a smaller one, just beside the original one so that one can still say that they went to the Bolshoi while in Moscow.

My friends and I have never been to the Bolshoi Theater. Although we have been to 2 ballets in Kremletski Dvorets (yes, there are many theaters in Moscow) - Swan Lake and Nutcracker, we thought that a visit to the Bolshoi is a must. From the beginning of this academic year, we have talked about going for a ballet in Bolshoi. We have tried to find out about the shows they have and the ticket prices on a few occasions. Each time we find that the seats are too expensive or the tickets have been sold out. Eventually, the plan was forgotten especially when everyone became busy with planning their parents' trip to Russia (for our graduation).

When my parents confirmed that they are going to come for my graduation, I thought that one of the things that I should bring them to is a ballet. Since the Bolshoi is too expensive, I thought that the Kremletski Dvorets will do. Since the dates of the ballets are out only 60 days beforehand, I started checking for shows since last week on www.parter.ru. My plan was to get the tickets as soon as I can.

A few days ago, I saw that the only available ballet was Giselle, on the 24th of June in Bolshoi. The cheapest ticket is 1342rubles. I was a bit disappointed, but then thought, 'well, at least there is a ballet to watch'. After talking to my friends, we decided that we would go get the tickets after class today. Between us, we needed 21 tickets.

The Bolshoi Theater is located just beside Ohotny Ryad metro station. The moment we (Swee Hung, Fen Fang, Von Yen, Yee Gin and I) exited the metro station, someone approached us and asked 'would you like tickets to the Bolshoi for today?'. It took a few moments for us to realize that the person was selling tickets on the 'black market'. We said our no, thank yous and went to the official ticket counter.

We saw that two counters were open. We approached one and asked about the tickets for the 24th of June. The lady said 'come back in June, it's too early now'. My friends and I were flabbergasted. In June? The tickets would all be sold out by then. Then we saw a guy (American? British?) approaching the other counter and asking about the tickets to watch ballet tonight. I don't know what the lady told him, but he didn't seem very happy and claimed that he checked from a website and in that website they said that the tickets are affordable. Then, we heard one of the 'black market' guys telling him that they have tickets for the day and the guy left to bargain with the 'black market' guy.

We then decided to ask about the ballet in the other counter. When asked, the lady told us that there are only few tickets left, and the cheapest is 3000rubles. And then, she took out her handphone and started talking. We were confused and for some time, couldn't think of what to do next. We finally decided to ask about the tickets in some other ticket selling booth. As we were leaving, another 'black market guy' approached us and we told him we needed 21 tickets for the 24th of June. He told us to wait and after some time, came back and told us that he has 17 tickets for now, each costing 1500rubles.

After lots of discussion and a walk to Kremletski Dvorets and back (to make sure that there are no shows available there), we finally decided to get 8 tickets - Von Yen, Swee Hung and Fen Fang decided that they don't want to go for the ballet. We managed to get the tickets for 1400rubles, but the seating is not as good as we would like it to be. I might just ask my parents to get binoculars so that they can see the stage clearly. I just hope that we were not cheated, that the ticket price has not been hiked up that much. I hope the stage is not that far away. And I hope that the ballet is a good one.

seating chart :
















*our seats are circled

No comments: