Friday, May 23, 2008

What Studying Didn't Teach Me

My classes were over a few days ago. That was the end of my formal education. 18 years of studying and now it's time to move on with the next stage of life- working. Of the 18 years, I think the 6 years spent studying here are the most significant ones, because this is the only education that is preparing me for my working life (tadika was preparation for primary school, primary school was preparation for secondary school, and secondary school was preparation for university).

The thing is, if I am supposed to be prepared for my working life, then I am far from it. I remember maybe 10% of what I have been taught in the last 6 years. I remember so little, that I don't trust myself to diagnose or treat anyone, however minor the complaints may be. Thankfully, the government trusts us just as little - housemen are not allowed to prescribe medicine, everything is done under the supervision of an MO.

However, there are many things that I did learn..things that are not in the syllabus. I don't know why, but I really do feel that the 6 years I spent here are one of the most significant ones of my life. It has changed me in many ways, shaped me, and influenced the way I think. Here is a short list of the things I have learnt for the past 6 years :

1. to prepare a meal for myself - although it may be not very tasty, at least I enjoy eating it.
2. to bake a cake/pie - have to thank Yee Gin and Angeline for this
3. to be more independent
4. to be a good friend
5. to not judge a person too fast
6. to not trust whatever another person tells me
7. there is always more than 1 side to a story
8. to think about things from different perspectives before I come to a conclusion
9. to enjoy a good book/movie more
10. that no one is perfect, and sometimes you just have to accept a person as they are
11. money can make miracles happen
12. a good doctor is not one who knows all the answers, but one who listens to the patient - I learnt this by being a patient myself
13. guilt is not a good feeling - they haunt you forever and ever
14. you can never truly know someone until you live in the same room/house as them
15. you don't always get what you want in life
16. that the internet is a wonderful creation

There are many other things that I know I acquired, but right now, I don't seem to be able to think about them and put them in words. All I know is I am a bit more prepared about to face the many different types of people of the outside world than I was 6 years ago. At least I am not as naive anymore.


8 comments:

Falcon said...

hehe...true..sudiesdidn't teach me how o prepare a meal too.

Anonymous said...

i agree with your post..

Anonymous said...

"a good doctor is not one who knows all the answers, but one who listens to the patient"

A conclusion I recently came to, myself.

Good luck in all your future undertakings!

Anonymous said...

"14. you can never truly know someone until you live in the same room/house as them"
so wat did u find out :P

Anonymous said...

ya.. i also wan to know wat did u find out bout all of us??..:P

miss critical said...

i totally agree with you especially 5. and 7. these are one of the things that studies can never teach but life can..but i know that i've acquired one very important thing which is patience ... hehe.. in a country where you need to queue to get your zacheot,documents, visa and even to pay ...your tolerance level sure gonna go up..hehe

but anyway... i enjoy what you write.. keep blogging

Sharini said...

angel : thanks for your wishes..i wish you the same.

puspha : for one, i know you can be quite manja with *****, even though you try your best not to show it.

vy : i dowan tell..:P

c.l.i.c.h.e.g.a.l : haha..patience..yup, russia definitely taught us that, although i m sure i will never miss the dekanat, no matter what..

Kev said...

Life's a learning experience. Now that you're done with studying, your next stage would be more challenging. Have fun now; u deserve it after your hard work at school but be mentally & physically prepared for what's to come in the years ahead of you.

Good luck