Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Phone Conversation

A few days ago, I called the JPA officer, Encik Azman regarding my flight ticket back home. I (and a few others) want to go back home as early as possible while some of my friends would like to stay here for as long as possible. So, we couldn't really come up with a common date for all of us to go back home. Thankfully, Encik Azman said that we could go back in two different dates. Thus, now there are 8 of us who want to go back early and 17 of us who want to go home later. I was told to call Encik Azman to ask about the earlier date, and the result of the conversation - "give a name list to Jufithri and I will get back to you later"

However, that is not what I wanted to talk about in the first place. I started the phone conversation in Malay. I don't know why, I just did. I know my Malay has deteriorated since I was here. I used to actually be proud of my command of Malay, but now I can't even write a short essay in Malay. Yes, it is that bad. However, for some reason, I decided to speak Malay to him.

I have met Encik Azman a few times before. I have never introduced myself to him or talked with him personally, this was the first time. I told him my name and that I am in the 6th year. Then I talked to him about the flight ticket stuff. When we were done talking, I was at a loss; do I actually say 'thank you, bye' or just 'thank you'. Just a thank you seemed so hanging, but to say bye seems weird.

I ended up telling thank you, and then tried to think what to say. There was a slight pause while my brain was trying to come up with something, and then, he said something and put down the phone. I THINK it was Assalamualaikum. Can you belief that? He wished me Assalamualaikum. I was (and still am) very happy. He thought I was a Malay, which means I spoke like a Malay, which means my Malay is not that bad after all. Hooray!!


No comments: