Wednesday, May 28, 2008

When Only Blogging Matters

When blogging first became a trend (at least when I first heard about it), it was said to be an online diary. I never could grasp the idea – you write all your thoughts and feelings and let the whole world read about it? What if you hate someone in your class or school or you had a problem with you close friend, do you write that as well?

To me, a diary is a personal thing. When I used to write in a diary (there were short bouts of it in my secondary school years which never lasted more than a few months and there is an ongoing diary I am writing since my 4th year here which is now more of a vacation-log – I only write in it when I go for holidays somewhere), I tried my best to put in all my feelings, but I never really could, because I was too afraid that someone would one day read my diary and know all those secrets about me. I know not many people actually have the habit of reading others diary, but there is always a WHAT IF, and I did not want to take that risk.

Recently, however, I sort of felt that blogging looked like fun. There were only a few blogs I used to read before this – ‘Togo the dog’ and ‘Jack the Kia Spectra’ (no longer active), both by the same author. Occasionally, I read a few other blogs from here and there too. However, I never thought I could do the same – what would I blog about? And anyway, will I be hardworking enough to maintain it?

A few months ago, I was stuck in a situation when I didn’t know what to do with my days. (One does not expect this from a medical student, but this is Russia- we are very relaxed and are most of us are lazy). Yes, there was the internet, but tell me, what is there to do on the internet for the whole day long? There are only so many mails to check and reading the news doesn’t really take that long (at least for me). Friendster, facebook, multiply – after some time, they are not that interesting anymore, unless someone adds new pictures which does not happen that often too.

And so, when I started looking for things to do online, I began to read blogs, and the more I read blogs, the more interested I became in them and after some time, I thought, hey, I could do that too. And that is when I started this blog, and now, I think I am quite addicted to it (mildly addicted). I no longer find Friendster/facebook/multiply appealing. I just log in there to look at pictures and nothing else. I don’t even feel like uploading any new photos or whatever one is supposed to do there. I find blogging more fun, especially when there are many visitors (which does not happen very often).

Nowadays, my brain is tuned in such a way that when something happens, when I go out somewhere, I think – oh, I can put that in the blog. I think of what to write next, of captions I can write for photos that I am taking etc. Maybe it’s because I have too much time on my hands. Maybe once I start working I won’t have time to blog anymore (although I hope that that is not the case). But for now, I enjoy blogging. I enjoy thinking about it, writing it and reading/hearing comments about it. I am trying to look for things to put up in the right side of my blog site (which is quite empty for now) to make it more interesting. Some of my friends too have claimed that they are now attracted to blogging, but just don’t know what to write and stuff. All I can tell them is, try it out, you will lose interest in so many other things because blogging is much more fun!

3 comments:

Falcon said...

Yup mee too...so addicted... so understand..

Anonymous said...

AHhaha...i dun even log into friendster and facebook often anymore.
But I do visit blogs every hour or so...

Gorgeous Ol' Eve Loves Vanilla. You? said...

Don't worry. You keep blogging, I'll keep reading!! :)